Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Treasure

I have a red-headed daughter who is now 22 years old. Oh, but just the blink-of-an-eye ago, she was a mere little angel girl. Like many little girls, my Ashley loved to dance. We enrolled her in a pre-tap class. I'll never forget her first recital at four years old. All dressed up in her turquoise satin and spandex outfit, accented with gold sequins, Ashley was ready to show us what she had practiced each week over the past year. We could not wait.

Large, bulky first generation video camera in hand, my husband and I joyously looked forward to filming her feat(or feet). Out came her class parading to the music. The dance began. And the shimmery gold sequins began flying off the costumes as the girls tapped away. Chuck panned the camera to make sure he got the entire class on film and then zeroed in on our own cutey pie. And there she was. Dancing? Why, NO. She was down on her hands and knees scraping up the fallen gold sequins. Scooping them up and tossing them back into the air. Having an absolute blast as we watched and wondered why we paid the lesson fees each month. Would have been a lot cheaper to hand her a bottle of shimmering sequins just to throw around! But Ash was happy as a lark! Our little red headed sweetheart had discovered gold while all her classmates continued to dance for the audience.

So maybe Ashley was right. Maybe we are all so busy dancing for the applause of man that we miss out on the real treasure. What a blast is in store for those who find it!

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life."

5 comments:

Heather said...

What a cute story. It's one of those things that you find hard to understand while you are the parent of that little four year old who is not dancing up on the stage, but when you get some time behind you, see that it is adorable! I am finding 22 year-olds to be quite nice. My Ashleigh is 22 as well and we spent the day together yesterday. Having these older kids is kind of nice, I must say. (although I do SO miss having everyone home with me!)

Greg C said...

Great story and great reminder. My youngest wanted to play T-ball but all he did was stand in the field and pick flowers. He enjoyed it though and he got to see flowers everyone else missed.

Kim S in SC said...

Heather: I agree, it is fun having an adult child, but occasionally I miss a house full of little ones. Only one more left at home full time for me.
Greg: Those kiddos are just too cute!

a woman who is said...

Oh Ashley was a smart little charmer. I hope she still is looking for the gold, the eternal kind!

Angie said...

Oh that's priceless on more than one level! Love it!

"Weighting" on the Lord

Let this be a place of encouragement for you in your own walk!