Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Finish Line

I read the following quote tonight at the Boston Marathon Website :"This is one of the major differences between elite runners' marathon training and others training for the event. Most runners or joggers are simply trying to finish the event in halfway decent condition. Elite runners are essentially "racing" the event." http://www.bostonmarathon.org/

I have this nagging thought that I can not let go of tonight. I must begin training like an elite athlete for this journey the Lord has me on. I think much like those casual(if there is such a person who runs ANY marathon) runners, I have often run my own race as one who just wants to "finish the event in halfway decent condition." This week's Bible study has been a great awakening for me.
How many times have I read 1st Corinthians and yet never realized that God wants me to run like I want to WIN this race!


1st Corinthians 9:24 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize."

WIN? Middle of the heap is always where I've been quite content thank you. You know, not first place, not last, but somewhere in between was more than fine with me. But that is not apparently what my Lord wants for me. He wants me to win this race. Not someone else's race mind you, but the race He has set out for me.

Hebrews 12: 1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Because I enjoy running, actually it is more like a slow jog, I really love the analogy that God uses in His Word on how we are to prepare. He tells us not to run "aimlessly".
1st Corinthians 9: 26"Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air."

So what is aimless? I am a terrible map reader. If you put me in charge of the map and told me where to go, it would take a VERY long time to get there. But there is this new device, the GPS and I'm telling you, for those of us that are map-challenged, it is a real life changer. It tells you where to turn, how far you are from your destination, and even includes markings of where the next restrooms are(now that's an answer to prayer). But you know what you have to do first? You have to tell the system exactly where you are going.

In the same way, we must know where we are headed. For both the physical race to health and the long term race to standing before my Lord,I must know that I will approach those finish lines a winner! And you dear friend, you too will have your own "crowning"moment. He did that for us! And at the end, I can just hear Him saying "I knew you could do it child! I told you so! "

I hear Him cheering me on now!

Praise Him!

No comments:

"Weighting" on the Lord

Let this be a place of encouragement for you in your own walk!